Monday 9 May 2016

What's New In May


I don't have any events to direct you to this month. If there are any out there then I have missed it and I'm sorry. Here are a few things that I am looking at just now. First of all I am trying my hand at Sashiko for the first time. Well, for the first time on my own. Previously I had taken part in a class with my old knitting group. I have already said all this before on last weeks WIP post. I am constantly adding to my 'Stitch It' pinterest board but over the last few weeks it has been filling up with Sashiko images. I actually now wish I had created a board for it all on it's own, which may still happen.  Sashiko (pronounced sashko) is a traditional form of Japanese embroidery usually involving blue fabric and white thread. There is a reason behind all that but I am saving the big explanation for a post I have planned related to this one subject. The image above you will have seen last week. This was me stitching and as you can tell I decided not to stick with tradition. Again I don't want to say too much about it just yet but what I can say is that there is something a little but therapeutic about this form of embroidery.


I also treated myself recently to a new craft book. I picked up a copy of  The Knitters Book of Yarn by Clara Parkes. I reccently reviewed Parkes travel writing book and I mentioned how much I enjoyed reading a craft book that was about someone enjoying the craft rather than just being filled with patterns. I expect this to be a little of the same in that it's about an aspect of knitting. Like the last one I hope to learn something too. I am bad for not paying attention the the blends of yarn that I use. I just go ahead and start knitting with it. My sole concern is colur and will the colourway work for the pattern I have chosen. I'm looking forward to it and I will review it as soon as I have finished reading it. This book has been out for a few years and I had to order my copy. I got mine from Waterstones (I don't do a certain online book/just about everything retailer).



  I love Bloglovin just now. If I was to add to me advice to bloggers post it would be to get yourself on there and claim your blog. It can gain you more followers and it can show you some of the fantastic blogs out there. This is how I came across Homey Oh My. Homey Oh My is a design blog. Obviously given my circumstances just now I am inclined to have a look at design blogs. What makes this one so good is that it looks so fresh. I love it for it's clean look. The blogger also posts tutorials and she recently blogged about learning to knit and crochet. A fellow crafter so of course I love her blog. If you scroll down to the bottom of my craft blogs list you will find a new heading and this blog listed beneath it. If you are bloglovin yourself give me a shout. You will see a bloglovin badge to the right here.


 I also would like to give a shout out to my friend Phyllis. She started her own craft selling page called Rosebuds & Rainbows (how fab is that name). If you can't knit or crochet but love the end result you can comission her to produce something for you. Head over to her facebook page and you will see some of her lovely work. She has also taken to designing her own patterns and as some of these patterns are socks I have to share them with you. The image above is of her Rib n Roll socks and the pattern is available of ravelry along with all her other patterns. Her socks are fantastic and I think that someone wanting to move away from the basic sock would find these patterns ideal. I have also added her facebook page to my craft shop list so please go along and check her out even just to say hi.


Lastly I promised to tell you a few things that I plan for my blog. I actually have a few plans but I realise that I can't do all of them at once and so I have decided to stick with one or two at a time. First off, as well as adding the bloglovin badge to the right I have plans for some themed posts. If you follow me on pinterest (and if you do say hello so I can give you a follow back) then you will have seen that as well as Sashiko I am quickly filling up a board just on colour inspiration. Actually I have lots of boards for specific colours but the colour inspiration board hosts everything else. The above collage is an example of some of the things I have posted there. I think that you can't be a crafter without enjoying colour. There may be some that you detest but you will still love colour and you will have favourite combinations. Am I right? Well each month for the rest of the year I plan to have a themed post around one colour. I will post different ideas and inspiration around that colour. I have chosen the colour this month round about three or four times but I have finally settled on the first. Since it's the anniversary of my mum's passing this month it feels apt that I should pick her favourite colour, red. So I hope you look out for that and I hope that you enjoy these new themed posts.

I am sure that I will have more ideas in the future but I will keep you updated as they come. One last thing before I go. I have also added a new list to the right of the screen. It's a list of top 10 most popular posts in the last 30 days. I can never tell which posts are going to be the most popular so it will be interesting to look at this evolving.

If any of you are trying something new this month then let me know. I would love to hear about it. Or if you would like to host a What's New post then drop me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment