Tuesday 29 September 2020

GBBO 2020 - Week 1

 


It’s that time of year again where I every week I watch bake off and actually want to bake. Actually, I didn’t watch it last year. I eventually came off my high horse of never watching it again since it moved channel. I got over that but last year I was just too busy and I never did get the chance to catch up with it as planned. This year though I will watch it and I am in the mood to bake along.

I was a little sad to see Sandy leave as a cohost but Matt Lucas has proven to be fun and I’m looking forward to watching him and Noel. I see he has already caused with his opening but I thought it was funny. The contestants themselves seem like a nice bunch and I am looking forward to getting to know them as the show progresses. Warning, if you haven’t seen this episode I suggest you don’t read any further.


The first week was cake week and the signature dish is battenberg. Didn’t realise how controversial a battenberg is. Most people love it or hate it. I’m afraid I myself am not a fan as I hate marzipan. My gran used to buy a battenberg to bring over for a cup of tea. I could tolerate it as the marzipan was so thin I could peel it off and the cake would just taste like cake. With the bakers versions though the marzipan looked so thick for most that peeling wouldn’t work. It was interesting though to see all the different flavours. The one above is by baker Dave and is probably the one that appealed to me most as it is a chocolate espresso martini. Seeing this I wish I liked it. I am pretty sure that this isn’t the first time this cake made an appearance on bake off. Wasn’t it a technical dish at some point?


The technical was a classic. Pineapple upside down cake. This was one of my mum’s specialities after her scones and her Christmas cake and dumpling. However, she didn’t make it like this. There was no caramel or whipped cream. Plus it was one cake and not lots of individual cakes. She also substituted the cherry for jam as she hated cherries. Still, it was an interesting take on the classic and I think most of the bakers seemed to struggle with it. Poor Dave though. His went flying through the air after poor Sura tried to swat away a fly and didn’t see Dave coming up behind her. I felt so sorry for her. If you fancy trying this recipe you will find it on the GBBO website. It’s a Paul recipe in case you were wondering.


Lastly was the show stopper and the bakers had to make a sculpture of someone they admired made mostly from cake. In other words they couldn’t cheat by using mainly rice crispy treats as a base (guess who has watched cake wars). This was hilarious. Some of the most disturbing sculptures were seen that day. The winner of the week was Peter who kind of cheated since he sculpted Chris hoy in his cycling helmet and glasses. You have to admire him for that though. Plus, all of his bakes turned out well so I think it was well deserved. It did make me wonder who I would choose to sculpt. I would struggle I think as some of the people I admire I think it would be seen as poor taste. However, I did think that Stephen King would be a good one since I think he would have a sense of humour about it.


Sadly the first contestant to go was Loriea. She wasn’t the only one to have a bad week to be honest so I think it must have been a difficult decision. I did honestly think that she has scraped a pass (despite using bubblegum flavouring but that’s just my personal taste). She doesn’t appear to be on twitter but you can follow her and see her bakes on Instagram under Loriea_cc.

As always with GBBO, none of these images belong to me but do belong to Channel 4 and the GBBO franchise.




So I had a go at my mum’s recipe. My dad had sent it to me along with her scone recipe many moons ago. I should have used a small tin and I should have added the cherries after it came out the oven (perhaps with jam as per my mum). However, it actually turned out well. It tasted just like my mum’s and the sponge was light. I will definitely make this again. I decided not to make the GBBO version because I didn’t have the little tins and I wanted to use my mum’s recipe. I’m pleased with the result. 

No comments:

Post a Comment