Wednesday 12 March 2014

Pins I Love - Stitch It!


So last week I got an email from pinterest. Not an unusual event. I get them umpteen times a day with various people pinning something, commenting or following. This particular one though described me as an influential pinner. I would say thank you but I think that just means I spend far too much of my time on there. It's an addiction.

So this week I decided on highlighting my stitch it board. Cross stitch was my first crafting hobby. I stopped for a long time when knitting took over but have since went back to it. I think sock knitting will always come first mind you. Anyway, as a tribute to my crafting past I've picked out some of my favourites. The above appealed to me because I love garden gnomes and toadstools. It's popular just now but it takes me back to story books from when I was little. They are designed by Kyoko Maruoka and are sold as kits. I'm not sure where the online store is based though but if you click on the above image it will take you there.


A very different kind of stitching but this lovely butterfly is stitching. I remember I bought a magazine which showed how to do this kind of work. I meant to have a shot but I forgot all about it. I don't even remember which magazine I saw it in. Regardless, this was created by Laura Lipponen. The link above will take you to an interview she did. However, you can also find her on her her website Susotaika. I think this is a perfect example of how versatile stitching can be.


Now I am not a fan of Alice in Wonderland. I have yet to meet anyone else who disliked the books and all the film adaptations. It's not entirely down to the Cheshire cat which creeps me out (although entertained me in the Eyre Affair). I just didn't enjoy it. However, I do like the crafts that people who love it create. This cross stitch hoop frame is a particular favourite. Of course it's the toadstools that stood out. This and some others can be found on the craftster website and were created by member maximumRABBIT.



 A useful thing about the internet is that there are a lot of 'how to' pages. The one linked to the image will be useful to anyone wishing to take up cross stitch (although I also recommend YouTube). I have linked this one because I like the little hoop designs. There is something fun about them as well as being great for a beginner. The guide was written by Rachel Walker and she can be found at the Broderick Design Studio.


I was tempted to go with Sashiko for the last one. It's a simple but effective form of embroidery. I realise thought that I had a lot of geeky pins on there and I couldn't make this list without adding one. I picked this one as it depicts the 50th anniversary episode of Dr Who. It was designed by Fangirlstitches and the pattern can be bought from her etsy shop.

Anyway, I am hoping to have another post for you before the end of the week. Meanwhile please don't forget to leave a comment on my giveaway post if you want to be in with the chance of receiving some sock yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment