Saturday 31 March 2012

Cath Kidston Granny Square Cushion


I bought the Cath Kidston crochet tin a while back and it contained the yarn and instructions on how to make this cushion. The 9 squares I finished months ago but the back piece took a little longer because there wasn't enough yarn in the kit to finish it. I got about half way when I ran out of two main colours and new I didn't have enough of the rest to substitute it. In fact I was sure I was going to run out of another two before I was done.


I had no way of matching it up without buying another tin. It wasn't that expensive but out of principle I refused to do that. So instead I tried to match up two of the colours and start again with the back. I picked red and blue because I love those colours together. I've seen so many craft projects on pintrest with them together. Unfortunately I had to go with the closest match so the red is a little too deep and the blue a little too pale. I like the way it turned out though and love the big red buttons I picked out to match.


It then sat for about or month or so because I couldn't get a cushion pad the right size. I decided to make my own but then had problems getting stuffing. On Thursday I finally got some, made the pad and stitched the together. When I read the instructions for the edging I was a little wary as to how it was going to turn out. There had already been a mistake earlier and I wondered if this was going to be another one. It didn't make sense to me to skip stitches. Since I am far from a crochet expert though I just went with and love how it turned out. I have fallen a little in love with this edging and I will definitely be using it again.

So this is the Crochet tin and everything that came with it. For the first time ever I am extremely disappointed with Cath Kidston. As I said there wasn't enough yarn to finish it. It was also of very poor quality. It split easily and didn't crochet well. The pattern along with it also contained a mistake (although these things do happen). The booklet was very basic and cheaply made. The only good thing about it was that it suggested to put colours together I wouldn't have the courage to otherwise. That and of course learning a knew edging. It wasn't that expensive though. In the end what you are really paying for is the pretty tin. If you are experienced at crochet I don't recommend it. You could probably do it yourself just by looking at the image. I would say it is okay for beginners but keep in mind that the yarn will split and might look messy.

I should point out that I have several Cath Kidston books which came with projects and I have never been disappointed with those.

7 comments:

  1. Do you know the same thing happened to me and several others the more I read about it. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the same and when I contacted head office they said it was not an issue, however the more I read about the crochet kit the more comments say there was not enough wool. What a shame. Cath Kidston needs to look at this issue as it appears to be continuing. Looks lovely thought if I had of been able to finish it.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame that they didn't listen. Not exactly customer service friendly. I put a negative review about it on amazon but that's the most I did. Someone else on amazon said the same thing. Would have been a great kit otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Hi, I've just started on this kit, I was just wondering, what is the mistake earlier in the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I honestly can't remember, it was a wee while ago now and I don't have the pattern to look it up. I think it was in the actual granny square instructions. If you know how to do a granny square you are fine.

      Delete
  4. Oddly, I made a pillow cover that looked almost exactly like this out of some of my scrap yarn not to long ago. Love the way it looks :) Sorry to hear about the kit...and the customer service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a few people doing Cath Kidston style grannies on their own. I should have done that but I am too much of a fan to have passed this by. We live and learn

      Delete