Thursday, 24 March 2011

My First Cheesecake!

I know it doesn't exactly look the prettiest but it is my first. It's a New York cheesecake and I once again used the Hummingbird cooker book. I promise to eventually venture out of that book for baking.

It was fairly easy to do which surprised me. It takes so long because you have to wait for the base to cool and then the rest of it to set. I made it yesterday morning and it has been setting in the fridge until this afternoon. The book said it would only need to be in the fridge overnight but realistically it takes longer. When we tested it I think it could have done with a little longer. Fingers crossed that it will be ready for tonight.

Despite that it did taste good. My mum loves cheesecake and if she didn't like it she wouldn't be able to hide it. It is very rich though and the tiny bit we tried was more than enough. Definitely going to be sending my sister away with a large portion. The only thing that really didn't turn out was the base. I think it stayed behind when I cut a piece. This doesn't particularly bother me as I wasn't convinced by the recipe that I would like the base all that much.

Monday, 7 March 2011


Every year I plan to make a mothers day card and always fail to have it done on time. Last years was a cross stitch design which is still lurking about. This year I decided to be more organised with my gifts (although I have to say I plan that every year too). Ahead of time I made a mothers day card. The border is machine stitched. I then used some fabric I have lying around to make flowers and of course added buttons too before attaching them to the card.

Last week I was also working on items for a craft fair that's coming up. I adapted the cowl design in the previous post and knitted up five hair bands (the fifth is a deep rose). If I have time later I may knit more of them.

I also stitched some cards for the fair. I used the mothers day card as a prototype. This is the black and red flower range.

Pastel flower range.
I then decided to try it with felt.

Lastly the black and red butterfly range. I might do these in pastels too but probably not in felt. Instead of buttons I used beads to set it off.

This is what happens when you can now see your craft desk. Last week was cards and hair bands. This week I am going to work on bookmarks.