Sunday 30 August 2015

GBBO - Week 4


So last week was dessert week (which I always confuse with desert although one is much tastier than the other). And wasn't it dessert week last year that bin gate happened? I'm sure it was as it involved a baked alaska. This poor woman probably never hears the end of it. Not helped by bloggers like me.


Anyway, dessert week 2015 began with a dessert I hate. Creme brulee. It's wobbly custard. The only thing worse than runny custard is not so runny custard. The yummy looking sugary topping hides the betrayal of the disgusting goo beneath. My humble opinion of course. I seem to be alone in that one. I was intrigued by the flavours added by the bakers. I thought it came one way (as I have described). It would seem that it's actually common to have rhubarb beneath (as I think a few of them did). As much as I was intrigued it wasn't enough to entice me to bake one. If you are one of the majority though the Bake Off website has a recipe for one with a cappuccino flavour - waste of good coffee.


The technical challenge was a Spanish Windtorte. Sounds like something rude and not a name belonging to this beautiful creation. Look how pretty! And within that beautiful meringue is yet more meringue. I think Paul won this one (he of the lion bread and not the judge). Won it for taste and actually knowing what violets should look like. I would have lost on that one. Would love to try my own meringue though. Although I would just eat it all. As it is a technical challenge this recipe is also available for the bake along challenge. Good luck with that if you are joining in. I am mightily jealous.


 The show stopper was a three layer cheesecake. My dessert of choice. Any restaurant which does cheesecake badly is immediately lowered in my estimation. I am also proud to say that I have actually made a few cheesecakes in my time. I was impressed with Nadiya's cheesecake. That of the fizzy pop flavours. I was impressed by how she managed to instill the flavours. I have also never made one with a pastry base and I was impressed by that too. Now the trio inspired by chocolate bars would have went straight to the top of the list. I thought Mat was in danger until he made those. Poor Flora though, rookie error only coming up with one flavour.


It was Sandy I truly felt sorry for though. She had a bad week sadly which meant we said goodbye to her. I can understand why the judges sent her home. However, I thought she was hilarious. Brought a bit of life into the other contestants. Her humour even came through on An Extra Slice. Think the rest of the series might seem a little flat without her.

As always none of these images are mine but belong to the official Bake Off website. In other news I will get to watch this when it airs this week. Much excited by that. It's the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment