Tuesday 20 May 2014

Pins I Love - Buttons!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=253569.0#axzz32G1pscNS

I was actually going to start by asking who doesn't love a button. Then I remembered that fear of buttons is an actual thing. So apologies if this post is rendering you catatonic. I on the other hand LOVE buttons. I have a box full of them and I will pick up buttons even if I don't need them. I have very fond memories of scouring through my mum's button tin when I was little. My sister and I would pick out our favourites while my mum was probably gritting her teeth at the noise we were making.

Long gone are the days where a button has a purely functional use. It can make a garment pretty or it can be made to accessories. The above image is what I am talking about. This button necklace was cleverly crafted by a craftster user (Macgirl-K). I tried to see if she had a website. She does but it's about her photography rather than her crafting. So if you want to see more about this necklace just click on the image.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77207348/lime-navy-and-pearl-button-charm

There are different ways of using buttons to create a cute bracelet. Myself, my sister and my friend Clare have all went through phases of making them. My sister has probably been the most versatile whereas Clare and I strung them onto elastic. I actually still have some. Anyway, this one above takes a little bit more skill than my method. Plus it will clink as you walk. I love a clinky bracelet. This one was created by etsy seller Mrs Gibson. While this particular colourway is not longer for sale she has quite a few others for you to look at.

http://scrapbookandcardstodaymag.typepad.com/scrapbook_cards_today_blo/2011/07/fun-funky-flip-flops.html
 
I think these flip flops should win a prize for being the most unique in button use. I have to confess that I am not a flip flop wearer. I hate anything between my toes. I also probably wouldn't choose black but I still think they are fab. I could actually see my sister wearing these. Unlike me she is a flip flop fiend. The tutorial (linked to the image) has you stitching the buttons onto ribbon and then attaching this to the flip flop. I bet though that a glue gun would secure them nicely.

http://artbywiley.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/button-tree-story.html

I have also seen them used to make cards or wall art. Another friend of mine won a jar of buttons at our knitting group. She made some fab cards with them. This person (Jodi Wiley) has used them to make tree wall art. I love the different looks of each of them. The link above takes you to a blog post she created detailing how she got started on this. However, she has also created a tutorial on how you can do this for yourself.

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/79692400/baby-nursery-wall-art-children-wall-art?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=monograms&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=5&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=

 This is something else I have done. I created a button letter for my sister. I did get the idea from pinterest so can't take creative credit. What I didn't do was use a canvas like this. It would have made life so much easier. I hand stitched each of the buttons onto some cross stitch fabric and then framed it. This one was done by etsy seller Letter Perfect Designs. She has quite a few for sale and she takes custom orders. If I was to do this again I think I would use a canvas rather than hand stitch them all on. I do like the bright colours in this one (as well as the letter K of course).


This is from pinterest but no website. I thought I would show this off as this was actually made by my friend (Norma of the Wee Crafty House). She took the sensible rout and used a glue gun. She placed them on those letters you get from craft shops that are meant for decoupatch. I think I might actually like this better than the canvas and can see myself creating these for my own wee crafty space (when I get it). Norma has made these specifically for craft fairs.

If anyone has any other button ideas I would love to see them. I am a button glutton. I have a board on my pinterest page dedicated solely to buttony goodness and these images show only a small fraction of what buttons can be used for.

No comments:

Post a Comment