Wednesday 4 December 2019

Stephen & Penelope


Every time I go somewhere I like to plan a trip to a local yarn shop. Not that I am well travelled. This year was a special birthday and I was taken to Prague. I’m a little sorry to say that I didn’t look out any local yarn shops. The year before we went on a family trip to Amsterdam. I love Amsterdam. I have been there at least 5 or 6 times and I am never bored of it. I love the culture, the atmosphere and the history. It was nice that we were going as a family and this time I was especially looking forward to one thing. I didn’t care what I did so long as at some point I got to visit Stephen & Penelope. A yarn store which is rather famous among knitters. Mainly because of Stephen is none other than Stephen West of  West Knits. One of my favourite knitting designers.

On our last full day there we did indeed make it to the famed store. It’s in a lovely area with lots of nice stores. Thankfully also a cafe nearby where my dad and uncle went so that I wouldn’t feel rushed. The store is lovely inside and out. Filled with beautiful yarns, books, kits and accessories. I was in heaven. The staff were lovely too and from what I could gather it seemed to be popular with locals as well as visitors like myself. If you are ever in Amsterdam you have to go. Just be prepared for the fact that you won’t leave without buying something.



Along the road from our hotel there was also a lovely little quilting shop. There was one day my sister and I had the morning to ourselves as there was a museum we wanted to visit and my dad and uncle had something else planned. Since my sister likes to sew too we couldn’t not pay it a visit. The shop is called Original Dutch Fabric and it is actually a lot bigger that it appears on the outside. The shop is filled with a fabulous choice in fabrics as well as quilts made by the owner and her friends. They were so beautiful and the lady who owns the shop was lovely and happily chatted away. 


While both my sister and I did buy some fabric I have put mine away with all of my other fabrics. I haven’t had the chance to look it out. Of course I also bought some yarn at Stephen & Penelope. My sister wanted to buy me some sock yarn. I only agreed to it if she picked and bought yarn for what would become a pair of socks for herself. She chose the pink. I picked out and bought the grey and I have plans to use that in the new year. I have purchased Hedgehog Fibre yarns before but it’s not the same as buying it in the shop.


I would have happily bought kits and books and spent a small fortune. Instead I limited myself to a couple of cute accessories. A little key ring that also acts as a needle gage. I have a few of these but none in the shape of a Dutch building. I also got these cute little bicycle stitch markers to add to my collection.

Even if you are not a knitter or a sewer I would still recommend Amsterdam. It’s a beautiful city which has a lot to offer all types of visitors. Even though I didn’t go to any yarn shops in Prague I would also recommend there too. It’s also beautiful with lots to see and do. I would suggest going during the week as wee did to avoid the stags and hens.

No comments:

Post a Comment