Friday 21 August 2015

GBBO - Week 3


 Yep, it's Bake Off week 3 and not only that it's bread week. Although I have never made bread myself I always liked bread week. It's the filled breads I liked. Mainly because I liked to see the fillings the bakers come up with. Another reason is that I have yet to have the guts to bake bread never mind bake bread with lots of fillings.

They started off with soda bread this week. Now, I have heard that soda is one of the easiest breads to make. I remember working with a girl from Ireland who often made soda bread and said anyone could make it. However, to see this weeks Bake Off maybe this is not the case. Mind you this wasn't your basic soda bread. There were lots of different flavours there. My favourite being the ones with cheese. Love cheese.


The challenge this week was baguettes which have never been made before on Bake Off. I was a little disappointed when this was revealed. It just seems so boring. In this I was proved wrong yet again. It may not be the most exciting of breads to look at or eat. However, there is a little more to it when it comes to baking. It involves proving (which I love) and a french linen for a second proving. Who knew! As usual the challenge is part of the Bake along and you can find the recipe for it here.


The show stopper was as impressive as always. This year it involved bread sculptures using different types of bread. It also had to include a filled bread. I was pretty impress with most of them. I honestly don't know how people come up with these things and then put their plans into practise. This week was so impressive that it led to a Bake Off first. Paul got a special commendation for his bread Lion. I had my doubts that this would work but look how good this is. Apparently it tasted good too.


Ian was once again star baker. He won it for his flower pot bread sculpture. I personally was more impressed by the breadcycle by Tamal. How can you not be impress by the fact that he managed to construct a bike from different breads and it even stood up. It even had a loaf in it's basket.


Sadly we said goodby to Dorret. I think it was clear that she was going as she didn't have a very good week for any of her bakes. It was a shame though as she was probably the sweetest contestant. There still isn't the camaraderie from last year. Dorret was one of the warmest contestants and I think the group won't be the same without her. The lesson to be learned from this though is to always practise your show stopper.

As usual all the photo's are from the Bake Off website.

Before I go though I think I should mention one of the unsung heroes of Bake Off. We all know the people in front of the camera but what about the artist behind those magnificent illustrations? They belong to artist and illustrator Tom Hovey. He has his own website which you can find here as well as on my blogs list. He even sells his prints. I can see myself picking up one for my future kitchen. You can also find him on twitter. I had quite a geekout moment when I discovered that last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment