Sunday 7 June 2020

All for Protection!


I’ve had the sewing machine out for the first time in years. I think the last time I used it was before I moved in to the flat. I always make promises to bring it out but other things seem to take priority. We are now being asked to wear masks on public transport and so I thought I would make my own. I watched a video on Instagram by Tilly and the Buttons which gave a very simple tutorial on making them. You can find her tutorial on YouTube as well as her website.  

So a few things about picking up sewing in so many years. I had to remember how to use the machine again. For instance, threading the bobbin, attaching the foot and remembering to put the foot down. Yep, I made all of these mistakes. I also made the mistake of cutting my fabric before watching the tutorial in full so that my little toadstools are all travelling in the wrong direction. They are still cute though, right? It took me a while to make the first one but quickly zoomed through the second. It now takes longer to measure and cut out my fabrics than it does to sew it up. I have made one for my dad and uncle and have plans to make a few more. For my dad and uncles I actually struggled to find fabric that wasn’t girly. Then I remembered the bedsheets that I have that I don’t use anymore. So they now have orange and white striped masks.


I chose to go with he ties for the masks because the elastics are sore on the ears. Not a problem if your are only wearing them for a short time. However, I wear masks all day in work and it does ache. Some of us have to twist the elastic to ensure that it is secure to the face which makes it more painful. So these little knitted bands of fabric with buttons helped. The elastic goes round the buttons instead of the ears. This means a tighter fit and saves the skin behind the ears. I used leftover sock yarn to make them. I used my sock needles to cast on 25 stitches and I knitted up 15 rows. Didn’t take long at all.

I know that restrictions have eased a little but I hope that you all still stay safe and take precautions when you do go out and about.

I had also planned to do a separate posts to highlight some of the devastating events that’s came to light since the murder of George Floyd. I decided against it as I didn’t want my post to drown out the voices of those that really need to be heard. My little blog isn’t that far reaching but I didn’t want to take the risk. Instead I have donated and I have ordered some books as part of my own education. If you are interested on seeing those books I will post them on my instagram when they arrive and on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment