Wednesday, 18 March 2015

In Which I Give Up On Everything.

Or at least that's the way it feels. Remember this scrummy yarn that I won in an auction many moons ago?  Well, I promised myself back then that it would become a pair of socks for myself. After knitting my mum sock's with my favourite pattern I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.

The yarn had other ideas though. A few rounds in and I could already tell that the pooling of the colours was going to be all wrong. A 50/50 split right down the middle which would just look daft (in my humble opinion). So back to the drawing bored.

I then picked out a pattern with some cables in it. It wasn't what I wanted but I had knitted this pattern before and liked it. It also used fewer stitches per round which should mean better pooling. Wrong! Again it was going to come up one half purple and the other green right down the middle. So I pulled the needles again. I really don't want to do a plain sock but I think I am going to have to resign myself to the fact that this yarn might only work with a basic sock pattern. A friend suggested re-balling the yarn so that I knit from the centre but I don't think it will make a difference here. Or rather I really don't want to do that. Life is too short to wind yarn that I have already spent half an hour winding (for now, might come back to that one).

Remember this beautiful yarn?

I know that it's hard to tell from the image that it's the same but this sock is from that yarn. I loved the striping of it. It was knitting up too large thought. I knew it was DK before I started but thought I could get away with it (sometimes I can). So a few weeks back after getting to the toe graft (I kid you not) I put it aside until I hunted out a pattern specifically for DK yarn. I did that today after spitting out the dummy with the purple and green.

I found a pattern in one of my folders from an old magazine that I thought would suit. It involved knitting on a pair of normal needles but I was okay with that. Thought it might be nice to try something different (and meanwhile ignoring the sewing at the end).  I did the cuff and then started on the pattern. A few rows in I realised it wasn't going to work out. It was written as though each row was a round although you are knitting back and forth and so the cables were going to be off. It was then I noticed that they were men's socks anyway. So back off the needles they came.

Finally I have picked a pattern from a book that I have admired but yet to use. In fact a friend of mine has used it more than I have. I think the pattern and the stripiness of the yarn is going to clash a bit or drown each other out. However, I am sticking to it. It's going to happen. Sadly it does require that I use up all 200g of the yarn. I'm okay with that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment