Wednesday 24 June 2020

Piosa Complete


I am so pleased with myself. I’ll be honest this isn’t the best photograph to be showing it off. However, I have finished the Piosa cardigan by East London Knit. It’s also my first cardigan. I have to admit that the tutorials that came along with the pattern gave me the confidence to bite the bullet and knit my first garment. I think I would have put off my challenge to myself had it not been for this. The tutorials kept me right and I do appreciate the extra work that went into the design of this pattern as a result. I also enjoyed it. It’s a lot of knitting (compared to socks) but I was never bored. Instead I was eager to keep going and see there result of each stage of the pattern. Even without the tutorials the pattern is very easy to follow thanks to its clear instructions. If you break down the sections there wasn’t really much in it that I hadn’t done before just not together for a large garment. If anyone else wants to try something like this go ahead. I can highly recommend it.

I did make some changes and felt confident to do so. First of all I added length. The cardigan is a more cropped length than I like. So I added 20 extra rows to it. The good thing with it was that I could try it on as I went to see how happy I was with the length. I also held off on the pockets to the end to ensure that I had enough yarn (although I really wanted those pockets). Thankfully I did have enough. I also didn’t add buttons. I love buttons and I’m not afraid of button holes. I just tend not to use them on my cardigans and so I decided against adding them. I am so happy with the end result and I am proud of myself. I think my mum would have been too.

The yarn is Nua Worsted by Carol Feller of Stolen Stitches. It’s beautiful to knit with and the colour choices made it difficult to choose. In the end I went with Unexpected Macaw because it’s a blue that goes with most things and one that I wouldn’t normally pick first. I am so happy with my choice.


Now that I have finished may first cardigan I am now about to start my first top. I bought this pattern from The Loveliest Yarn Company a while ago. I love the lace design and the 3/4 sleeve. I thought it would be perfect to wear on management days in work (before current times when it’s best not to wear your own clothing in work). Let’s be honest here. If there was anything that initially attracted me to the pattern it’s the colour. My sister made that comment the other day. “You bought that because of the colour didn’t you? It’s a Karen colour.” Yep, I did indeed. As I really wanted to knit it in the colour in the photograph I was sadly unable to order my yarn from the same place (which is a shame as Michelle had the deep pink in her recent sale). It is a lace weight yarn and therefore there is a huge difference between this and the worsted that I was knitting with. Both the pattern and the yarn is by West Yorkshire Spinners.

So tonight, I plan to wind the yarn and knit up my swatch. Wish me luck and watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment