Tuesday 30 June 2020

June Yarn Haul



June’s yarn haul is a little late and this is entirely my fault. When I made the order with this fabulous yarn dyer I had requested to collect the yarn from her store after Lockdown. When I realised my mistake I contacted they dyer and paid the postage. The yarn then arrived the next day. I am excited about this months yarn because it’s beautiful AND this will be my first time knitting with this dyers yarn.

The dyer is none other than Sealy MacWheely. Sealy MacWheely has her own store (under the same name) in Kirkintilloch. I was excited to try her yarn because we have yarn friends in common who rave about her (as a person and as a dyer). When I went onto her website I was even more excited because her yarns had a sci fi inspiration. I am a huge sci fi fan and I couldn’t resist. So this first yarn is called Kaylee. Kaylee is a character from Firefly. I loved her character. So sweet and the least cynical of the group. She makes quite a contrast to the rest of the characters. This colourway suits her perfectly. I was also kindly given the sparkly version which again suits Kaylee.


The second yarn is again based on a character from Firefly. Fans of the show will know which character this beautiful colourway is based on straight away. The yarn is inspired by the character Jayne. He was a character that I didn’t take to straight away built found him hilarious by the end of the one and only season. The yarn colours matches the hat that he was famous for wearing. I have not always been a fan of orange although that has changed in the last five years. As much as it’s grown on me it’s still not a yarn colour I buy often. Therefore, I am really looking forward to knitting with this. It might even be my choice for my next sock Saturday/sock Sunday challenge.


There were also quite a few yarns which were based on Douglas Adams “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.” I was very tempted to go with my favourite character Marvin. Instead I went with this beautiful yarn which is based on the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. I love the colours. This yarn has silk in it and I’m not sure it would be suitable for socks. It’s super soft. I will need to have a think as to what I want to knit with it. Think it will need to be something special.


I am sure you will have heard me talking about the Flower Power Fund which raises money for Marie Curie. Marie Curie is close to my heart as they were one of many people who helped my mum. They also provide a fabulous service which we as nurses can access for our patients. Which is why I have knit socks for Marie Curie the last few years. The person who organises this (a palliative doctor) also organises volunteer yarn dyers who base a yarn on a flower and some of that money goes towards Marie Curie. This yarn was by one of those volunteer dyers, Sherry Iris. The yarn is based off the flower Honeysuckle. It’s so pretty.


Finally, we have my Sea Life yarn from Mothy & The Squid. This months yarn was inspired by the Giant Cuttlefish. I LOVE this yarn. Look at all those greens. I have someone specific in mind for this one. Looking forward to that.

I have two more months of yarn hauls planned where I pick a specific hand dyer to highlight. Like this month the following two will be by hand dyers I have never tried before. Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment