Monday 7 September 2020

Whitethorn Socks

 

These socks are my latest finish from my regular weekend socks challenge. I’m not sure why I call it a challenge as I really don’t need an incentive to concentrate on socks. Anyway. I think that these are my favourites so far. I know I say that every time I finish a pair but at the moment it is true of these. First of all a little warning the link to the pattern will take you to ravelry. 

The pattern is called “Whitethorn Socks” by Lindsey Fowler of Lost and Found. It’s a beautiful pattern and one that I think changes with the colours you use. If you are able to do so you will see on the pattern cover that they are knitted up in a light coloured yarn which shows them off as quite delicate. I feel that this rich green gives them a chunkier, cosy look. I quite like a pattern that does that and I will be knitting these again as a result. The pattern itself is very easy to follow. The cables are an 8 round repeat and very memorable. I think so long as you have a little familiarity with cables this would be a good pattern for anyone wanting to move away from the basic sock.


The yarn is a sock yarn by Mothy and the Squid. It’s part of her Sea Creatures club and this one is inspired by the giant cuttlefish. I LOVE this colourway. I love how rich the greens look thanks to the subtle variations of the shades. I worried that a pattern would drown this out. However, I also felt that it was a little too special for just a plain sock. I am so glad that I chose the pattern that I did as I feel that the two compliment each other. This was a beautiful yarn to work with. I always love knitting with Mothy’s yarns but to have a pattern that you have fallen in love with two doubles that feeling. It was to the extent that I didn’t want to finish knitting them which I think is why it took a little longer than it normally would.


Now, I had promised myself that these socks were for me. I promised myself with the yarn and with the pattern individually. Then a friend in work gifted me some fudge she had made herself. If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen a photo of it. It was the most delicious fudge that I have ever tasted. My sister has said to me that my friend is her new best friend and will be forever known as fudge lady. I of course cleaned out her tub and was prepared to return it. I wanted to fill it though with something I had made before handing it back (has anyone heard of that? I thought it was a thing but seems I’m the only one who thought so). My oven is temperamental just now and while it’s fine for cooking not so fine for baking. I then decided to give her a pair of socks and I thought these were perfect for her. It wasn’t even painful to part with. She loved them and was showing them off all day. The added bonus was that green is her favourite colour. I must have instinctively known.

No comments:

Post a Comment