Friday 31 January 2020

January Haul


There won’t be a haul blog post every month. I hope. Don’t think I could afford it every month. This month I had some Christmas money to spend and I went to town. I bought this months edition of The Knitter. Like last month there are a lot of fantastic patterns in there. Many of which I would quite like to knit. There was even a men’s zipped cardigan which I can see myself knitting for my dad for Christmas.

One of my goals was to learn new techniques this year. Brioche was high on the list and I even planned to do something this month. I then watched Fruity Knitting’s first podcast after Christmas. Nancy Marchant (the Queen of Brioche) returned for an interview and she talks about her book Knitting Brioche Lace. Fruity Knitting are holding a knit along with brioche lace or tuck stitches. I think that I was a bit optimistic that I would be able to join in but I have been wanting this book since it came out. Lots of beautiful patterns in there. It is self published so if you are looking for your own copy Stephen & Penelope are the official stockist in Europe. I got my copy the day after I ordered it.


I also ordered myself some sock blockers. I have had acrylic ones where you can change the size to suit the sock. I hated them. They just didn’t work for me although I know there are people out there who prefer them. I have read that some people find that the wooden ones can catch on the yarn if they aren’t finished perfectly. I haven’t found that with these. They finish is fantastic. I got mine via SmirnOFF Designs on Etsy UK. I’ll be honest, I don’t normally block my socks. I decided to invest in these because I thought my socks would photograph better for my sock patterns. If you follow me on Instagram you will see the difference in one of my latest photograph collections with my new sock pattern. So maybe blocking is worthwhile in socks after all.


I also got myself some Knit Pro DPN’s as a pattern I am planning on working on soon requires a size that I didn’t have. Unawares I picked up cubies. Have any of you tried these yet? As the name suggest the needle is cube shaped rather than round. I have always found Knit Pro to be very comfortable to work with but the cubies provide even more comfort. Might be good for people who have problems with their hands.
A lot of yarn this month but none for stash. All project specific. The first is a Rowan yarn which is for a scarf by Martin Storey. Stupidly I haven’t bought enough. I suppose it would be fine if I wanted a shorter scarf but I picked this pattern because  it’s a windy scarf. Funnily enough that is also the name of the pattern. The middle yarn is for a brioche hat in order to expand my knowledge of brioche stitches. Finally the last is by cascade yarns and it’s for a pair of slippers. The first and the last are part of my garment challenge. The project after those will be a jumper (which will be really out of my comfort zone).

Not haul but I am really into my podcasts just now. I prefer visual rather than audio and so I have three that I have begun watching religiously. Fruity Knitting is one I have mentioned before. I have gotten so many pattern ideas from them and learnt about lots of designers. It was from watching Fruity Knitting that I decided that it was about time that I moved past the socks. East London knits is another. Her podcasts are shorter but I like them because she designs her own patterns and I have even bought a few of them. Finally, I recently came across the Grocery Girls which is by two Canadian sisters. It reminds me of the knitting group back in the day. Just full of chat and excitement over new patterns and yarn. I have added a few patterns to my ravelry library thanks to them. I am sure there are many more podcasts but these three are a firm favourite. I should warn you that Grocery Girls tends to run over the two hour mark. However, I make myself a coffee and get out my knitting and get comfy. I haven’t linked any of these but you will find them all on YouTube. I might actually link them to my blogs page. Podcasts are just like blogs right? Does anyone else have any favourites?

No comments:

Post a Comment