Friday 9 April 2010

Birthday Waving Lace Socks

I finished the second pair of socks for my friends birthday. It's not until June so not bad going. This time I picked out a pattern from a book I have had for a while. The book is called "Favourite Socks" and the pattern is Waving Lace socks by Evelyn A. Clark. I love lace designs and so had this one on my to do list as soon as I looked at the book. I discovered that my friends favourite colour is blue and so decided on this regia yarn called Hand-Dye effect. I love the different shades through out the yarn. It's also lovely to knit with. Just flowed off the needles. I would recommend though that if anyone decides to use it they rewind the yarn first. The way the ball is wound causes it to come loose in clumps and creates many frustrated moments of untangling. Worth it in the end though.


The pattern itself was easy to follow and very easy to knit. The repeated lace pattern is very simple and I loved the effect it had. I'm not used to using five needles though although for the beginning of the sock it was worth it. After turning the heel I went back to my usual four and stuck to that. The description of shaping the gusset was a little complicated for what it needed to be. In the end I ignored it and worked it they way I work most socks. I think it worked out just as well.

The book has many more patterns in it that I know I will knit. Each pattern is by a different designer so there is something for everyone and at different levels. I imagine the basics of sock knitting will also be different depending on the designer. One of my favourites is in there, Nancy Bush, which I think I will be back to have a look at. I have a few of her books and have knitted a couple of socks by her. I highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment