Sunday 20 September 2020

Seed Head Socks


The latest socks I have finished are another favourite. These are the Seed Head Socks by Vikki Bird Designs. I have linked her Love Crafts page rather than the design on ravelry so that no one needs to worry about clicking on the link. She has some very pretty designs. I especially like her fox mitts. Please go check her out.

This pattern was designed for the Flower Power Fund and for a period of time proceeds wend to the flower power fund which raises money for Marie Curie. It was how I came across the pattern and the designer. I was immediately taken by the pattern because it looked so delicate. I also knew that there was something new for me to learn from it (such as the little seed heads). The socks are toe up. If you know me you will be aware (maybe) that I am not a fan of toe up. The first time I tried it I was taught by the lovely Ginnie (otherwise known as the sock lady). It was a basic sock and I found that it took so much longer than a cuff down. I don’t know why that would be since your not knitting any more than you would cuff down. However, with this pair and another (I think it was the Christmas stocking) I was learning a new method of casting on. I also had the added joy of knitting the design running up the centre of the sock. I was certainly not bored. It’s a beautiful knit and I enjoyed every second of it. The pattern was written well. It used both charts and written instructions which was helpful. Plus it linked to YouTube videos for the cast on and the seed heads. I highly recommend this pattern for anyone who would like to move beyond the basic pattern. What I will say is that I don’t normally block my socks. My sock blockers are purely for taking photographs. However, these socks do need blocking to show off the pretty pattern.


The yarn I used was a sock yarn by Countess Ablaze. The colour way is called “You look like a bag of spinach”. I initially was going to use a deep pink Donegal yarn. When this arrived though I knew straight away that this was the perfect yarn for the pattern. The delicate colours matched the pattern perfectly and that the two would harmonise rather than drown each other out. The yarn is lovely to work with. Initially I found it a little splitty but that was purely me doing a cast on method I had done only once before. Once I got into the pattern I had absolutely no issues with it and could enjoy it. If you saw last months haul post you will see I have another skein of yarn from Countess Ablaze and I just need to find the perfect sock pattern for it.


These socks (like the last pair) have already been given away. This time to my sister’s best friend. She’s a key worker within a care setting. She’s currently having to isolate for two weeks and my sister wanted to send her a care package and I suggested she put these in with it. She has liked the plain socks I have knitted for her so I think she will like these too.

Next post will probably be another finish as this weekend I am working on a pair of slippers (they are very sock like). I have fixed my Victoria top but couldn’t find my stitch holders and had to order more. I hope to get back on track with that. I have also started my Christmas knitting. Then there is bake off starting next week and I might start my weekly bake off posts again (I’ve gotten over the move to channel 4 although I didn’t watch it last year).

I hope that you are all staying safe both physically and mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment