Sunday 27 September 2020

Happy Birthday To Me!

 


So my birthday was a month ago now and some of these purchases are not as a result of my birthday. But any excuse to buy yourself yarn goodies or show off your yarn goodies, right? So first up is the most recent goodies from the Sea Creatures club by Mothy & the Squid. This one is based on The Southern Blue Devil Fish. How beautiful is this? I love the deep blues and it matches the fish perfectly. I am also in love with the little coaster that came with it. Will definitely be using it.

So here is what I did treat myself to for my birthday. So, a friend of my sister asked what I had bought myself for my birthday. I hadn’t thought about it to be honest. I asked if paying my NMC fees (that’s right £120 to be allowed to do my job) counted. Apparently not. As luck would have it The Loveliest Yarn Company then posted that they would receive more copies of 52 Weeks of Socks published by Laine magazine and we could pre-order. I have been considering purchasing this book since it was first out for pre-order. As I had a lot of sock knitting books and was starting to design my own I held out. This is such a beautiful book though. Above all of my sock knitting books. It’s a solid hardback book with lovely binding. A book for the coffee table (if you like coffee table books). There are so many beautiful patterns in there. I know a few people are challenging themselves to knit them all. I might do the same but I am thinking that I will hold off until the new year. Something for me to look forward to. Now the question is do I start at pattern 1 or do I randomly choose what appeals to me?


Another book that has been on my radar is Cat Knits by Marna Gilligan. It’s the hat that I liked immediately and I thought my sister would love it. So I added this to my birthday shopping. It is another lovely book (not a coffee table book). Definitely only for the cat fans among you. There are quite a few patterns in there that I would knit. Plus my sister has already earmarked which ones she would like. I’m surprised she hasn’t done what she does when I get a new cookbook. Which is place a post it to ensure I know what she wants. I’m looking forward to it.


I saw this zipped cardigan in an issue of The Knitter and I really wanted to knit it for my dad. He has something similar (bought) which he wears all the time and I thought it would be nice that I knitted one. I know he had a jumper from my mum that he wore to death. Since I knitted my own cardigan he has been hinting (I say hinting, there was no real hint to it) that I knit him a 2ply colourwork vest. Keep in mind I am a beginner with large garments. My mum always refused to knit him this so I was quite happy also refusing his request. However, I thought this would be perfect. I ordered the yarn direct from Bergere de France. It’s actually fairly reasonable and it comes in lots of lovely colours. I have to admit that I had to reign in my excitement at the colours and remember who I was knitting for. I think my dad would have preferred a much darker grey. I decided to go with the lighter though as it suits him and I still need to knit it. I’m pleased to say that it is already on the pins and is knitting up well so far.


Lastly, I bought a hat kit from Toft. This is for my sister for her Christmas/birthday (haven’t decided which yet). I finally caught up with all the Fruity Knitting episodes and really liked the interview with Toft. The podcasters daughter had also knit this very hat as a way of practising her colourwork skills. I thought that would be perfect so picked out colours that I thought my sister would like. I love that the kit comes in a drawstring bag and the pattern is downloadable (which I have still to do). I think I will cast this on for #StudySunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment