Sunday 24 May 2020

Piosa KAL Part 1 & 2


Part four of this fab KAL by East London Knit came out this week. While I am sure that many people are powering through this latest instalment. I am working my way through part two. As this is my first garment I am being extra careful not to make mistakes. Therefore I am working on it only when I am off. At least for the sections that require concentration.

So I am proudly showing you my first swatch. Actually not my first swatch but my first that was done specifically to measure my gauge. I am proud to say that my gauge is the same as the pattern recommendation. Proud because as a newbie it means I don’t need to worry about deciding whether to change needle size or change the size of the pattern I had decided to go with. Drug calculations no problem. This hurts my brain (probably because I’ve never had to do it). Anyway, I was saved this time and I love my little swatch. I even blocked it.


Part three was already out when I was waiting for a day off to watch the YouTube video on how to do German short rows. I have done short rows in the past but never German. Up until that point I had done the cord, picked up stitches and the first two rows. Once I was past the short rows I was able to do a few rows each night after work. I’m afraid I couldn’t stay awake long enough to do more than that. Since the above photo I have finished with the back down to the armholes and I’m about to put the stitches onto some scrap yarn before I make a start on the front. Feeling proud of myself so far.

I am currently knitting a pair of socks for myself in between. After that though I think I will get back to the scarf and shawl that I had been working on before Lockdown. Then when I have finished my cardigan I have plans for a jumper. Can’t wait but I really shouldn’t count my chickens just yet.

Today is a special day for my family and it seems apt that I should post about my knitting. Today is the fifth anniversary of having lost my mum to Pancreatic cancer. Most people who knew her know her for her love of red and her love of knitting. She was an avid knitter and could knit up jumpers in the space of a week. I think she would be proud of me for knitting my first cardigan as well as wondering what took me so long. The photo below was taken by my dad from their holiday in Portugal, a place she loved. Anyway, I plan to continue knitting and have a cheeky glass of her favourite red while watching one of her favourite films. Hope you are all safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment