Friday 15 May 2020

May Haul


So last month I said that I would show some indie dyers some love in order to support small businesses. This month I chose another favourite dyer of mine (who is not unknown to these posts) Mothy & the Squid. I think we were partnered up through fibreshare the first time I took part. I am sure I sent to her and then I just had to try her yarn and never looked back. I absolutely love her nature themes and her instagram is yarn candy for the eyes. Go look!

The first yarn was actually picked by my sister. Mothy’s son is being home schooled just now and one of his school projects was to design, and sell the yarn. He had to come up with a business plan and promote it. His yarnspiration was ice creams. I instantly fell in love with these colours and knew my sister would love them too. So I showed my sister the options and she picked this one which is bubble gum. I actually had an inkling that she would pick this one. I have actually knitted up her socks with this already and came up with a new pattern which I just have to write out from my notes. I’ll tell you more on that another time. I must admit that if I had the funds I would have bought every single colourway in this series.


I knew that Mothy & the Squid yarn would be a focus. The reason I chose it to be this month is because of this colourway. As I said she uses nature as an inspiration and this is from her bird series. Looking at the colours you wouldn’t be surprised that I couldn’t let time go past before ordering it in case she sold out. These are my colours. However, it’s the inspiration behind it. The bird that inspired this colourway is the Blue Footed Booby. My dad was a bird watcher back in his day and had lots of books on birds. My sister and I loved nature books and we would always look through the pictures. We would often come to the page with this bird on it and being children we thought the name was hilarious. So a bit of childhood nostalgia for me with this one. So the yarn will knit up a pair of socks for myself and they are already on the pins.


This yarn is called Pink orchid and was actually in her sale. I would have bought it anyway as I was specifically looking to order a donegal base. I didn’t realise how close this was to a donegal based yarn I bought from For the Love of Yarn. So I might be nice and knit one of them up for someone else (maybe). This one is slightly different in that it’s a solid pink and the flecks are rainbow.


Lastly I signed up for her sea creature club. A year or so ago I stopped all of my yarn subscriptions and I have been good at sticking to it. However, I have been admiring the colour ways for this one for the last few months and I decided to sign up. This is May’s and the inspiration is the Leafy Seadragon. So cute! I love the colours. I usually go for cool greens rather than warm and this will be a lovely change. I love the little stitch markers that came with it too.


While I promised to focus on one small business each month Mothy & the Squid wasn’t the only indie dyer I picked up yarn from. I am sure most knitters will have heard of Jon from EasyKnits. I follow him on instagram and I have been watching his live feeds every Sunday and Thursday when I’m not working. In fact his Thursday live feed is at a time that I can watch it while waiting on my train home. I just have to cut out early. I love seeing what he is working on and the guest appearance of his sausage dog, sweep. He produced some kits called Stay at Home. They sell out so quickly and I really wanted a set for a pair of socks I plan to knit (I was being lazy and didn’t want to go through my stash to try to match up yarn for them). I missed them the first batch but on the second I picked up this purple and pink duo. There was a more ‘me’ colourway but I wanted a change and I do like knitting with pink every now and then. He is actually in the process of writing up a pattern for these kits. So I have a bit of a conundrum. Do I go ahead and use it for the pattern that I had originally planned or do I hold off and use it for the pattern they were dyed for?

Next month I am planning on ordering from a dyer I have never ordered from before. I might not order quite so much but I am looking forward to trying something new. Does anyone else have exciting yarn purchases they wish to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment