Friday 7 February 2014

Socks All For Me!


Lots of sock news today. Mainly I have now three finished pairs of socks which are mine, all mine. I also have some exciting sock news which I will announce at the end of this post.


These are my first finished pair of the year. They are knitted up using Regia sock yarn. I knitted this as a hitchhiker scarf a while back (which was also for me) and I loved the result. I love the socks even more. It's the colours. They are just so lovely and bright! I did make a tiny error. Well, a big one. You will maybe notice that they look rather large. This is because I knitted them on 2.75mm needles. I normally do as I am a tight knitter and so need the bigger size for tension. Now if I was using the 2.5mm I would just add some extra stitches. Which I also did. Not to worry. Slightly bigger just means comfier.


The first pair I knitted alongside friends I was teaching to knit. I also used images from the first sock to create images for my hand out. This second pair I used to photograph a different technique to create the to. Basically, no grafting. You might recognise the yarn as the lovely hand-dyed yarn that my friend Lisa created. My favourite colour is blue and I love the added sparkle. I can't wait to wear them but at the same time they are just too pretty.


These last pair I actually started on a whim. A friend was giving away some Sirdar Crofter in double knit. You can knit socks in double knit but they are mainly cable socks. I picked out this one. I decided to do them on a smaller size needle. Mainly because I didn't have the size indicated and I was too impatient to wait. I did them in a larger size to make up for it and it worked out perfectly. Not often that happens. The yarn was so lovely to knit with. I know I have used it before but I love it. Plus, I do love a cable and these wiggles are super cosy. The only downside is that I am not overly fond of the yellow stripe. I can live with it though.

The pattern itself is once again from The Big Book of Socks by Kathleen Taylor. The pattern is called Wiggle Worm socks. The design is repeated over 8 rows and was fairly simple to follow. I liked the fact that the pattern of the cables continued down the heel of the socks. Don't think I have done something like that before.


Last but not least my news. The lovely people from Black Sheep Wools were looking for bloggers. I volunteered and they have asked me to review this lovely yarn. It's by Regia and is called Highland Tweed. I have never used tweed before although I have always wanted to. So I am very excited about it. More exciting than that is that they gave me two. Once I review the yarn I will be giving the second away to a lucky reader. So look out for that!

2 comments:

  1. I love your socks, the dk weight ones are my fav out of the three. I made a sock once but never made the other one lol. I should really knit up a pair one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. The DK ones are so toasty. Lol, one sock syndrome is always a danger. They are worth it when finished.

    ReplyDelete