Friday 19 July 2013

Homespun Vintage - Jane Crowfoot


A wise person said to me not that long ago that I shouldn't make nursing my life. Easy said and done if you are not on placement and don't have lots of assessments to do. Nevertheless, I am trying to get back to some of the things that I enjoy and this blog is one of them. I spent ages deciding what my first post should be as I have a few projects to share. In the end I decided on a book review.

I normally like to have done at least one project from a book before I review it. However, I fell in love with "Homespun Vintage" by Jane Crowfoot before it even arrived at my door. It's one of the few times I have taken advantage of a magazine offer. It's a beautiful book and is exactly what it says on the tin. Filled with gorgeous projects inspired by different eras from all parts of the world.


The majority of the projects are cushion covers. The one blanket in the book is probably my favourite. It is certainly my mum's favourite and I think she may borrow the book. I love any adaptation of the granny square and the colours in these hexagons go perfectly together. This is inspired by the Russain doll. The larger of the Russain dolls is called Babouchka hence the name of the pattern. Babouchka also means old lady or grandmother which I think fits the design perfectly.


The projects aren't just inspired by Country or era but by designer. There is a whole series of projects inspired by Coco Chanel. Each of the projects are in her signature black and white and have a delicacy to them. This cushion includes beading and out of all the Chanel inspired designs this is the one I would love to try.


There are a few crochet cushions in there too in bright colours if that's your thing. Normally I would love that but I seem to love the more muted tones in the book. This cushion is another favourite. Again it uses beading to set it off and yet looks very simple and elegant.


I can't really comment on the instructions too much since I haven't worked on anything yet. From having looked through them though they seem fairly easy to follow. I think some of the simpler cushion may be suitable for beginners. The more complex would be more suitable to experienced knitters.

This has fast become my favourite craft book on my shelf. It will take a lot to replace it I think. Filled with lots of lovely images, I could spend all day just looking through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment