Saturday 17 April 2010

Baby Hats Applenty

I have two baby showers to knit for. I am sure that I have mentioned that. The first one I heard about is for someone who does a lot for our knitting group (although isn't a member). I decided to knit a set of hats and bootees using patterns from Erika Knight's "Simple Knits For Cherished Babies". I already knew I wanted to use Sirdar Baby Bamboo yarn as I love the silky feel of it. I knitted up three hats and three sets of bootees to match (one 50g ball of this yarn was just enough for a matching set). This was a while ago and I then loaned out the book. I also started on the next baby shower project (amongst many others). I just got the book back two weeks ago and over the weekend I decided that I was going to finish at least some of my WIPs. On the Saturday I knitted the last three hats. This pattern is the beanie hat from the book. It is so easy to knit up. It does call for a chunkier yarn than I used but I have knitted this in the past (as have a few others) and it seems to knit up too big.

On the Sunday I managed to knit the last three sets of bootees. This pattern is the cashmere bootees and again is very simple to do. After the first set I had the pattern memorised and could pretty much knit them up without so much as glancing at the book. The pattern calls for cashmere yarn but the bamboo DK works out just as well.

So I now have one complete set for the baby shower which we have still to work out a date for. The other baby shower is in June so I had better get a move on with the blanket. I am at the border but I have been putting it off as I am worried I will run out of yarn. This baby shower is for someone who is in the knitting group. Although I love the blanket pattern I think I will knit something else to go with it. I have the yarn to knit the cashmere teddy from the Erika Knight book so that's a possibility.


Other WIPs, I have now knitted up 14 squares using my left over sock yarn. I have decided to knit one of these squares a day just to keep the momentum up. It will be a long time before I finish it. Have a number more socks to knit so that I have more left over yarn. Luckily I have a list of people waiting for socks. My crochet throw hasn't been touched although it has been calling out to me. Same with my mum's lace throw. Instead I have been mainly working on a throw for my sister (yet another one). I think I will have it finished in the next week or so. I also started a pair of socks for my dad's Father's day. I swore I wouldn't. He likes plain socks and in black. Knitted in the largest size there is really nothing more boring. However, he has been nagging at my mum. Poor mum has only knitted one pair so far and knitting them for him might put her off. So I found some yarn in my stash which has some colour. I am using the basic pattern again but at least I have colour changes to keep it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment