Saturday 20 March 2010

Long Term Project

I like to have long term projects on the go and do smaller ones in between. The smaller projects are ideal to take to the knitting group depending on how much concentration I need for them. I finished the latest long term project last week. It was a cable throw for my sister which you can see above. The pattern is from "Classic Knits At Home" by Erica Knight. The pattern is very easy to follow. It called for chunky yarn but I used a basic aron instead. It meant the throw turned out narrower than the pattern suggested. I also made it a little shorter by doing only 20 repeats of the pattern. It just means it won't cover a bed but was never meant for that anyway.

My latest long term project is a lace throw from the same book. It is knitted in four panels. Each panel has a different lace pattern. They are all stitched together and then a border is knitted round it. It should turn out large enough to fit a double bed. This time I stuck with the pattern suggestion and used Rowan Kidsilk Haze. It's my first attempt at knitting such a large lace project. It's also my first try at using 2 ply yarn. I thought that if I drop a stitch I might cry then toss it aside. Thankfully I came up against this challenge not long into it and survived. Mind you I am still on the stocking stitch part of the panel. I don't know how I will react when it happens once I get to the lace section (there may really be a lot of crying then). The pattern recommends that you cast on with a bigger size needle. I have to say I agree with it. It really saves a lot of frustration just on the first row. I chose red as it's a gift for my mum and it's her favourite colour. It also means it will take me quite a while as I will have to knit it in secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment