Monday 9 February 2015

A Return of Sorts and The Great British Sewing Bee!


I could regale you with tales of as to why I have been absent. The festive period had me busy with crafting projects galore (as I had planned way back last January). I would by lying though. I managed to finish one pair of socks and those were the stripy horrors for my sister. I call them horrors for at the time of her picking out colours I hated them (liked them once they were finished). No Christmas baking got done. Not Christmas sweets. No socks for anyone (I mentioned that). And none of the other crafting projects I had planned. Who knew that working would be so exhausting. My days off were mostly spent reading, sleeping or catching up with my sister. I will get used to it in time. Maybe once I stop doing all the extra shifts. Saving to move out is hard work. On the positive side I now have a permanent full time job which I actually start this week. Not bad considering most of my class mates are still looking.

I digress. So now that the Christmas period is over I have been working away on a baby shower project which I can't show you yet. I have also been working at a few projects for the future flat. Which I also can't show you. Not because it's a secret but because I have been too lazy to take photo's during the day when the lighting is better.

I have also signed up to a blanket club that my friend has started up. Each month she sends us out enough yarn to create 26 squares, a pattern and a template for the blanket. The scrummy yarn above was from the first month (you guessed it, it's the lovely Lisa of For the Love of Yarn).


Sadly I only managed 25 squares. I must have been too generous with my sewing allowance as my mum managed 26 (she crochets a little bit more loosely than me). As a result it would mean that I wouldn't be able to follow the template. So my plan was to wait until I had all my squares and then decide on what order to sew them in (rather than sew as I go). My mum though gave me her leftover yarn and I managed to do a 26th square so I am now undecided.


As I had a pay cheque coming in for once I also signed up for Lisa's monthly yarn club. You don't have to sing up for it every month but it's nice to know that I can occasionally treat myself. This was January's yarn. I got a matching crochet hook, a yarn marker and a cute little box. Not sure what I am going to do with the yarn. I might look out a pattern for DK socks. Or I might try something else. We'll see.


I have other news but that involves me not being lazy and better lighting. So it will have to wait until later in the week. Thursday there saw the first episode of season 3 The Great British Sewing Bee. It has a very similar format to Bake off (only there is not cake at the end of it). I watched it for the first time last year and loved it. On Thursday I was visiting my sister and thanks to me she is now a fan too. I then watched it again on iPlayer with my mum who is now also a fan. You are welcome GB sewing Bee. It has me itching to get the sewing machine out but I think I should maybe master the basics first. There are a few people shining out already and there was a few at the bottom. Sadly I wasn't surprised when my fellow Scot was the first to go. Mainly I oohed and aahed over the pretty fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment