Monday 18 November 2019

Marie Curie Socks




No need to adjust your screen. An actual blog post. It’s only been almost two years. In that time I have changed specialities, been promoted, done nothing to the flat and continued to knit nothing but socks. Every month since February last year I had a plan for blog posts. I even had some posts written up. However, other interests kept me away. I’ve been writing, reading and studying.

In regards to my knitting I haven’t really much to show for it. Lots of socks but I have given them away to friends, family and even a few patients. Oh, and the cat destroyed a few pairs. She likes wool and I have discovered which drawers she can get into the hard way.

Last year I came across the Flower Power Fund on Instagram (@FlowerPowerFund). It’s a charity run by a Doctor who works in a Marie Curie hospice. She organised Indie dyers to dedicate a yarn to Marie Curie and a percentage of that would go to the charity. Each month featured a different yarn and they were all beautiful. She also organised for knitters to knit socks so that all the patients could receive a pair at Christmas. Last year I took part and I think I managed to knit two or three pairs.


Next year she is bringing back the 12 months of limited edition yarn dedicated to Marie Curie. In the meantime she is again collecting socks for the patients in the hospice and their families. Her goal is to collect 458 pairs. West Yorkshire Spinners dedicated a yarn Marie Curie. I used this yarn last year and managed to get more this year although there is limited left. I cast on the first pair in September and I finished the seventh and last pair yesterday. I’ve pretty much used up all of the yarn I had available and what I have left would probably only do a couple of rows.


That’s 7 pairs out of four balls of yarn (400g in total). I managed it by alternating the toes and heels. My favourites are actually the socks knitted primarily in solid using the variegated yarn for the cuff, toes and heel. I used a short row heel as I thought it would make it easier to do this. Despite having done nothing but knit with these colours the last few months I am in still in love with them. I particularly like the yellow and the blue together. I may even have to used these colours in a future project for myself.


The yarn is their sock yarn range with the striping yarn being one of two Marie Curie specific colour ways. Like most sock yarns it’s a wool/nylon blend. It’s not a soft yarn to work with but it is cosy making it the ideal feel for feet. I quite like a slightly rougher texture to a sock especially when it’s cold. You also know from the feel that they will last. If you have any yellow and blue sock wool and time on your hands I am sure that any socks you can contribute would be appreciated. See the link above for the Instagram page.

All I need to do now is to print out the bands and send them on. In the meantime I am working on some Christmas knits and plans for next year. I hope you are all well.

No comments:

Post a Comment