Monday 17 March 2014

Watching and Reading.


I may not have much to show for the last few weeks but I haven't been completely idol. I am still working on the throw for my sister. While it has grown a little bit I don't think you would notice as I think the photo I posted a few weeks back was a close up.

In truth I have been mostly keeping up with crafts through reading and watching. I have been too tired to do much else. I even picked up the latest cross stitcher even though it had little in it that suited my tastes. I was craving a little bit of crafting contact. It did come with a free notebook kit which I managed to stitch up in about an hour. I think it's rather sweet even if the cover is slightly too small for the pages. It's the perfect size for my uniform pocket and so will be going to my next placement with me (little notebooks always come in handy for taking note of anything new). It was a fairly easy things to stitch hence the hour it took me. The hardest thing about it was differentiating between red and dark red (a sign that I'm getting old maybe).

I also picked up the latest Homemaker which I love. Nothing to show for it mind you. The free kit that came with that is still sitting on my shelf. Lots of good ideas though and some great recipes. I keep saying I am going to compile them but I've yet to do that. Yet to make any of them too.

I have also been avidly reading the Yarn Harlot. She is doing her book tour just now and it has made for an interesting read. In each place she visits she does a group shot of the attendees while holding up her sock knitting. This way you can also see her progress. Feel a bit sorry for her with so much time spent in airports but also very jealous of all those attending. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite blogs.

The next two images aren't mine but come courtesy of the BBC.


I have been watching Mary Berry Cooks. I am more of a baker but have been finding this interesting. There are a few savoury makes in there that I think I might even be able to manage. What I really want to try though is making jam. Mary Berry makes everything look so effortless mind you. However, I think I could do it and just need to wait for the fruit seasons to come in. Thinking of trying my hand at marmalade too.


I am also not much of a sewer. I have a sewing machine that rarely gets used. I have been enjoying The Great British Sewing Bee though. Not to say that I would even want to make all of the items that have been done so far (men's pyjamas being the one that I definitely don't want to ever make). It's a good show though and it's interesting to see the individual styles people can bring to each garment. It has a similar layout to the Great British Bake Off. So maybe that's why I like it.


















I lied when I said I haven't been up to much else. I did do some baking on my days off. I did this while studying (they were in the oven while I did my reading). The giant cookies I wasn't impressed with. I divided the dough into six as stated but I felt that they were just too big. Very crisp on the outside but a little undercooked in the middle. Perhaps that was just my taste though as my mum loved them. I also made some banana bread at the weekend there. You've seen this before but I did manage to teach someone how to make it via facebook. Although I think that has more to do with their skills than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment