Monday 16 February 2015

Fabric Fiend!


For the last few years I have been wanting to get into sewing. I have managed one or two projects but have never had the confidence to try out something more than backing a cross stitch project. Thanks to some inspiring people at my knitting group I have been wanting to move beyond that. So with a voucher that was given to me by these ladies I got myself a couple of books that will help me (I hope) move beyond inspiring into actually doing. The first book is an accompaniment to last years series of The Great British Sewing Bee. There are one or two things in there that I would like to have a go at. The second book is actually by the runner up of the first series, Tilly Walnes. I have had my eye on this book for a while as I follow her on pinterest and she always pins images of makes from her book. I love all the patterns in it and I can't wait to have a shot. She also has a blog called Tilly and the Buttons. Worth checking out. She is also on twitter, instagram and pinterest. Think it will seem a little too stalkery to link all of those.


In a magazine I picked up recently there was a pattern to show you how to sew your own pants (or panties if you are American). I quite liked the idea and then saw this company advertised in the same magazine. Anncancan is a website where you can buy kits to make your own knickers. Offering different fabrics. Each kit contains three different patterns. It was this that sealed the deal for me as it contains a pattern for the beginner which would be me.


I am also still looking at decorating my flat with my makes (when I get it) and bought these two fabrics for my soon to be bedroom. I plan on making some patchwork pillows. The orange and teal will match the blanket I have almost finished making. All I need is some white on white fabric to set it off. The teal fabric I picked up in hobbycraft. The orange fabric I had to hunt for to find one that I liked. Orange fabric is a difficult one to get it would seem. I got it from Purple Stitches which seemed to have a nice selection.


While on that website I couldn't resist this one. I thought it was cute. I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet but it had to be done. This is how fabric collecting starts isn't it?

I have no idea when I am going to start all of these projects. I have quite a few on the go just now and need to be thinking about finishing one or two of those before I start. That and I need to build up the courage to start cutting into these lovely materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment