Sunday 12 July 2020

Sweet and Tartan


I know that there is issues with ravelry’s new layout causing seizures so before I start I need to warn you that the pattern link will take you to ravelry. So if you are neurodiverse I wouldn’t click on it just in case. My own sock design (while not linked here) is also on ravelry. I am planning on adding it to etsy soon.

In the meantime the latest Sock Saturday/Sock Sunday finish is Sweet and Tartan by Tracie Millar. You might know Tracie Millar as one of the Grocery Girls. I fell in love with this pattern as soon as she started working on it and I was very eager to purchase the pattern before release. The pattern is actually mosaic knitting which is a very easy way of getting into colourwork. It’s definitely effective here. The pattern is very easy to follow and has both written instructions and a chart. It also comes in three sizes.

I did make a few changes. The pattern calls for a third solid yarn for the heel and toe. I just stuck with using the main colour. It was easy to adapt the pattern to do this. Secondly, I also continued the purl row round the entire foot of the sock rather than just at the front. The first time I did this it was a mistake. I got carried away and was finished the whole round before I knew it. I actually liked the effect so decided just to keep going with it rather than rip it back.

I highly recommend this pattern for anyone who wants to try knitting socks with more than one colour. As I said, the instructions are easy to follow and you are only knitting with one colour at a time as you slip the stitches of the other colour.


The yarn I used is Easy Knits Stay Home pack. It was meant for a pattern that the owner of Easy Knits is working on. However, I had this pattern in mind when I saw it. I have since bought another pack for the Stay Home pattern. This is the first time I have used his yarn and it was lovely to work with. I very much like the colours and the two match very well. There were a few speckles of the darker yarn within the light which did interfere with the pattern a little. I was worried it would make the pattern difficult to see but I don’t think it does. I also have plenty left for more socks since these were just little ankle socks. The question is do I knit a few pairs of basic socks with a contrasting heel. Or do I find another complimentary pattern. I am having difficulty deciding. Until then the next sock Saturday/Sock Sunday is on the pins and it’s a new pattern (not by me). You’ll have to follow me on Instagram to see what it is or you’ll see here when I finish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment